
Dear Readers, I was absolutely delighted to get the results of my most recent Open University module yesterday – Distinction! I will spend the next 24 hours being insufferably pleased with myself. This is a Level 2 module (I got a 2:1 for my modules last year, and was insufferably pleased with that too), so it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that if I work hard and keep the brain in working order, I could do well in the level 3 modules over the next two years. But let’s see. Next year features a whole lot of microbiology and genetics, which I love but which can be quite testing. I shall let. you know how I get on.
And it was great to get some good news, because it’s been a tough few weeks, and the situation with my poor little cat continues to be worrying. The dilated pupil turned out to be a little bit of ulceration, which she’s being treated for. We had more or less decided that we were going to go for surgery today – in addition to the liver and lymph node swelling there’s what looks like a blockage in her small intestine, which we won’t be able to either treat or diagnose without going in. But today the vet is worried about her heart rate and thinks there’s some fluid on her lungs and her abdomen is swollen. The worry is that it’s an infection called Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) – apparently the test for it takes three weeks to come back, and we clearly don’t have that time, so we’re going to treat for FIP and see if she improves. The vet has mentioned euthanasia for the first time, if this doesn’t work, and has also asked me if I’d want her revived if her heart stops (answer = no). So this is our absolute last throw of the dice. Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. Poor little cat.
Hip hip hooray for your hard work at your classes!
But so sorry to hear of Willow’s situation.
As I near the end of my own cats’ lives (17, 14, 12), I dread the choices that will need to be made. It’s so hard to know when it is time to say goodbye.
My youngest cat had a rare (actually, it may turn out to be not-so-rare, as we know more about diagnosis) condition that required a $20K surgery, which could only be had in one place in N America. It just happened to be a mere 6 hours from me. We had pet insurance that covered 90%, so we went for it because he was only 10. But now that they are all older, I’m leas likely to go for extreme measures. Still, it’s hard to decide what would be “extreme.”
Sigh. In the “old days,” we wouldn’t even do vax, but now, the sky, or somewhere near it, is the limit.
The knowing when to stop is the hard part, but the vet isn’t at all gung ho about the possible treatments, and I think she’ll tell us when she thinks enough is enough. She was nearly as upset as I was about the cat’s deterioration yesterday.
Congratulations on your great results! I’m so sorry to hear about poor Willow.
Thanks Emily
Very well done in the brain department! Decisions of the heart are not as easy to make and so I wish you well with regard to Willow’s well-being.
Thanks, Anne
Good news about the module – well done.
I’m sorry to hear about poor puss. We had a car with wet FIP. It’s a horrible disease. I do hope that it isn’t. It’s such a worry but I can tell that he’s getting the best of care.
Yep, it’s the wet variant that they think Willow has. Fingers crossed that the drug that they’re trying works quickly.
I do hope it works – I had heard that there is now a treatment available. Sending crossed paws that it is successful x
Congratulations on your result – well done! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for poor little Willow. 🤞🤞
Thanks Mike!
Do enjoy your success. Here’s hoping your cat responds well to the med.
Thank you Michael!
Well done on the results and again fingers crossed for a successful outcome for Wilow.